I have always loved peas even as a child and back then, mum only buys peas in a can and never those frozen ones as those were more expensive. This is a very simple dish that mum used to make that will definitely make lunch or dinner time a wonderful meal for me. The meat for this dish can either be pork or chicken. Not sure if it will taste the same with beef or mutton but pork and chicken are my preferred red meat.
This is mum's recipe for one of my favorite meat dish...Pork Fillet with Canned Peas.
6 slices of chicken breast meat or pork loins
1 tsp of sesame seed oil *
1 tsp of light soya sauce *
1/2 tsp of sugar *
1/2 tsp of salt *
a dash of pepper *
1 can of Green Peas (drained as we don't want the water that the peas were soaking in)
1/2 large onion (sliced)
*all this is used to marinade the meat
- Taking a chopper or mallet, pound the chicken breast meat or pork lions. This makes it very tender to eat, without having to use meat tenderizer
- Put in all the marinade ingredients with the meat and leave for 20-30 minutes
- Heat up a little oil in the wok/pan and put in the sliced onions.
- When the onions start to soften, add in the meat.
- If it gets too dry, sprinkle a little water into the wok/pan
- When the meat starts to turn nice and slightly golden, add in the green peas
- Depending on the brand of Green Peas that you buy, some are softer than others. For those which are rather hard, you may need to cover your wok/pan for a minute or so to soften them
- Once the peas are soft, add a little bit of water (if you like gravy) with a little corn starch.
- Add a little salt and sugar for taste.
- Ready to be served.