As promised, I have managed to take a photo of the Japanese Breadcrumbs which I used for the coating of these prawns. Somehow, I am quite sure that it was these breadcrumbs that made the difference in the normal deep fried prawns that I have eaten in the past. It stayed nice and crunchy even after some time. I suppose if this is the case, then this particular dish can be done up and served as a snack, especially for your favorite guy(s) whilst he or they are watching football. Ha Ha.. I think my sister-in-law is not going to thank me for this as my brother is a football fanatic (crazy MU fan).
This is the recipe for the Crispy Deep Fried Prawns
12-15 Medium -sized prawns
1/2 tsp with
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 egg (beaten)
Oil for frying
Batter for frying
2 tbsp of plain flour *
2 tbsp of corn flour*
3 tbsp of breadcrumbs (Ottogi)*
* mixed together
- Shell prawns, leaving only the tails intact
- Slit the back to remove the veins, wash and pat dry
- Add in the marinade and leave for at least 30 mins
- Heat oil in a wok or a pan. Test the hotness of the oil by dipping a chopstick. When bubbles form around the chopstick, then the oil is hot enough
- Take a prawn from the marinade and dip it into the beaten egg.
- Remove from the egg and roll it into the batter.
- Shake out the excess batter and place prawn in the hot oil.
- Repeat with the rest of the prawns
- Fry the prawns until they turn golden brown
- Remove and drain on the paper towel
- Serve hot or cold on its own, or with chillie sauce or mayonnaise