Thursday, March 27, 2008

Fried Lady's Fingers (Okra) in Dried Shrimps and Belachan


I have heard from some of my friends and the office tea lady that lady's fingers (okras) are very good especially for the knee joints. This could be due to the sap (gluey) like thing that emits from the vegetable when you cut it. But it is this very gluey thing that gave me a hard time cooking this dish last night.

I like lady's fingers when cooked with Assam Fish or Fish Head Curry but yesterday night was a work night and I really didn't have the time or the energy to attempt to cook such fanciful meals. So, I decided to make a very simple dish of fried lady's fingers with dried shrimps and belachan.

As I was cutting the lady's fingers, I notice the gluey stuff. Tried to wash it off but it still kept dripping out of the cut parts of the lady's fingers. Decided to soak them in some water and I think maybe I should not have done that as they were getting even worse. Anyway, I rinsed and drained out the water but when I started cooking it in the wok, it didn't that long to find my lady's fingers swimming in a pool of glue...alamak.. quickly scooped it out. Luckily it tasted ok but I know there must be a way to get rid of all that gluey stuff.

If SueSue of CookingMomster-My Kitchen or Babe of Babe in the City-KL is reading this post....HELP!!!!!

If you want an equivalent recipe for lady's fingers, I would suggest you visit CookingMomster's post and maybe Babe also has a post (tried to find it but I couldn't just yet). I will only post my recipe when I find out how to get rid of all that glue from my dish... :(


Can see the glue or not??

Technorati Tags:, ,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emmm... I think it is the lady's fingers itself. At times I bought the lady's fingers also so gluey and at time it is not so gluey. Well usually I will clean the lady's finger first and then cut it and leave it in the fridge overnight.It is better not to soak the cut lady's fingers it will make it more gluey leh. Cos usually I prepare the vegs one night before I cook cos rushing for time.So far didn't ecperienced the so so gluey lady's fingers but it is still gluey la.

Unknown said...

oh suesue..thank you for your speedy response..i think i will do like you do..wash then only cut. maybe putting in the fridge after that is a great idea. thank you so very much dear suesue...hugs!!

Babe_KL said...

oh no!!! must not wash them after washing hehehe. that will caused more slimy stuff to ooze out.

actually no need to put them in the fridge. after soaking, let them dry in a colander. if still wet, wipe with paper towels. ensure your knife and chopping board are dry as well. after cutting, cook them immediately. dun cook too long, use hot fire.

this one turned out ok http://babeinthecitykl.blogspot.com/2007/08/stir-fried-ladies-fingers-with-sambal.html

Anonymous said...

Make sure you have a really hot wok and cook the ladies fingers in minimal time. The longer you cook, the more likely the juice will ooze out. Also, if you must add water, sprinkle instead of pouring. You can try out this alternative okra recipe.

Unknown said...

babe: mmm..now i know.. wash some more soak..what a dummy. ah, thanks for the link to your blog. was trying to hunt down the recipe from your blog the whole morning heehee

pablopabla: thank you for the tip and the alternative recipe. now I can cook ladies fingers without fear anymore..:D

twosuperheroes said...

hey Y...your lady's finger didn't look very gluey what..But with so many sifu giving you advice..haha..I'm pretty sure your next attempt will turn out to be much better eh. :p

Unknown said...

oh yes superheroes, i am so grateful for the advices of all these great sifus.. i will surely become a better cook because of them..btw.. any new recipes from my superhero S or not..*waiting patiently*

Anonymous said...

You can try to pan fry the cut lady's finger without any oil for a few second. this will help to reduce slimy stuff. Do try out. Hope it helps.....

Unknown said...

thank you anonymous... i do believe that will do the trick too.. :)

Anonymous said...

I tried babe_kl and pablopabla's tips - worked like a dream. Almost zero glue.
Viv

Unknown said...

hi Viv. yeah. their recipes really works beautifully :)

Anonymous said...

I have be familiar with a scarcely any of the articles on your website trendy, and I unqualifiedly like your style of blogging. I added it to my favorites net page file and disposition be checking assist soon. Please report register in view my put as ok and fail me know what you think. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

What about if I want to cook it in soup like curry, this means that it can't avoid contacting with water, so how to avoid the gluey stuff?