My mum has always told me that fried rice is the easiest thing to cook where the preparation time and the actual cooking time is relatively short. Most of the ingredients that one needs for fried rice could be anything that is left in the fridge. The most important ingredient being leftover rice as great fried rice normally is cooked with overnight refrigerated cooked rice :).
Oh yeah, there is this toy in the cupboard that I have not yet opened and I am quite excited to see if it does what the packet says it will do. It is a Rice Mold that I bought from Daiso.
Took it out of the packet, washed it and laid it out to dry whilst I prepared myself to do a Chinese Styled Fried Rice.
2 cups of overnight cooked rice
2-3 shallots (sliced)
1 Chinese sausage (this can be replaced with chicken meat, ham slices or any meat bits you may have left in the fridge) - sliced
1 cup of frozen mixed vegetables (corn, carrots and peas) - washed
A few leaves of lettuce (whichever type you prefer) -sliced
Sesame seed oil
Soya Sauce, Salt, Sugar and Pepper to taste
1 tomato (for garnishing only)
1) Heat some oil in the wok/pan and put in the sliced shallots. When the shallots turns aromatic, put in the sliced Chinese sausages. Fry these for about a minute or so.
2) Add in the cooked rice and sprinkle a little water (with your hands) into the hot wok if the rice appears too dry. Break up the rice clumps.
3) Make a little well in the center of the rice, pour a little sesame oil into the center and crack in two eggs. Put in a dash of soya sauce into the eggs and scramble them.
4) Add in the cup of mixed vegetables. Add in soya sauce, sugar, salt and pepper for taste.
5) Lastly, add in the sliced lettuce. Stir in and your rice is ready to be served.
I scooped my rice into the rice mold. Since the mold is made of metal, it can get pretty hot. So, use an oven mitten or a cloth to protect your hands *ouch.. I learned this the painful way.
I think I should have to pack in the rice tighter as the rice shape was not as nice as that on the picture on the packet. Oh well, I will do it again soon as I simply love fried rice and I can eat bowls and bowls of it... *carbo meter blowing up...weeeeeee