Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Banana Bread (Cake)


This is going to be a very busy day for me, with a long meeting that is going to start at 11am. And I didn't even have time to run upstairs to pass some of the banana cake I made to the test bunnies. Had to get another colleague to bring it up when she goes up later.

I was just wondering how come the recipe was called Banana Bread? Sure looked more like a cake than a bread to me. But anyway, I did it as I have about 7 pieces left from a lovely bunch of bananas I bought to make banana muffins over the weekend. So, instead of eating it up just like that (which I did, I ate 2), I decided to try out this Banana Bread recipe from one of my Merpati recipe books (Popular Cakes & Kuih). I used their recipe with a little cinnamon and nutmeg added to enhance the taste a little bit more. This is their recipe reproduced below:-


Ingredients

125g butter
300g castor sugar
2 eggs (slightly beaten)
a few drops of banana essence
5 ripe bananas (peeled and mashed)
250g flour*
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda*
a little salt
75ml of milk#
1tsp lime juice#

* sifted together
# mix and leave aside for 10mins

Method
  1. Cream butter and sugar til creamy and light
  2. Beat in eggs, a little at a time
  3. Add banana essence and mashed bananas. Fold in sifted flour and milk alternately.
  4. Pour mixture into a greased pan 9x5x3 in or 23x13x7.5 cm tin
  5. Bake in a preheated oven at 175C or 350F for 30 minutes or until the bread is golden in color and a skewer comes out clean when inserted.
  6. Cook in tin for 5 mins, then turn out onto a wire rack.

Hope the bunnies liked it :)

Technorati Tags:,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator

5 comments:

twosuperheroes said...

Dear Y...when are you going to open a bakery?? Haha... we'll be your regular customers! :p

Babe_KL said...

the bunnies here all loved the cake!!!! more please!!! kekeke

Unknown said...

supes : heehee..open bakery..a bit susah..but test bunny farms,ahhhh..i think can open test bunny farm heehee

babe: glad the bunnies like the cake..no time and not good enough to make more complicated cakes yet :p

Anonymous said...

So rajin la you nowadays. Now becoming a pro already.. I read somewhere for banana cake, to get a better texture, try using cake flour instead of all purpose. Maybe you can try next time. Thanks Yozora.

Unknown said...

hi min..main main aje Heehee. oh yeah ka? i will try to use cake flour next time. I am still a bit confused with all these types of flour, high, medium and low gluten..cake, biscuit and pau flour..very confusing lah :(.