This is going to be a very busy day for me, with a long meeting that is going to start at 11am. And I didn't even have time to run upstairs to pass some of the banana cake I made to the test bunnies. Had to get another colleague to bring it up when she goes up later.
I was just wondering how come the recipe was called Banana Bread? Sure looked more like a cake than a bread to me. But anyway, I did it as I have about 7 pieces left from a lovely bunch of bananas I bought to make banana muffins over the weekend. So, instead of eating it up just like that (which I did, I ate 2), I decided to try out this Banana Bread recipe from one of my Merpati recipe books (Popular Cakes & Kuih). I used their recipe with a little cinnamon and nutmeg added to enhance the taste a little bit more. This is their recipe reproduced below:-
300g castor sugar
2 eggs (slightly beaten)
a few drops of banana essence
5 ripe bananas (peeled and mashed)
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda*
a little salt
75ml of milk#
1tsp lime juice#
* sifted together
# mix and leave aside for 10mins
- Cream butter and sugar til creamy and light
- Beat in eggs, a little at a time
- Add banana essence and mashed bananas. Fold in sifted flour and milk alternately.
- Pour mixture into a greased pan 9x5x3 in or 23x13x7.5 cm tin
- Bake in a preheated oven at 175C or 350F for 30 minutes or until the bread is golden in color and a skewer comes out clean when inserted.
- Cook in tin for 5 mins, then turn out onto a wire rack.
Hope the bunnies liked it :)