Oh dear, it must be the time of the year again when the flu bugs starts biting. I was away for the weekend and yesterday for the Qing Beng and when I came back, I found that some of my friends (and blogger mates) are down with the coughs and the flu. Must blame it all on the weather. My mum too was having a very bad throat over the weekend, with fever too. This is a time when the best remedy is rest and lots of fluids, no fried foods and no spicy foods too. Soup is a very good source of nutrients and easy to take in too. Over the weekend, I managed to boil 2 types of soup. The fist one that I did was a very simple soup which my mum calls it the ABC soup. It is actually a chicken soup (broth) with carrots, tomatoes, onions and potatoes. She calls it the ABC soup as it is supposed to have vitamins A, B and C in this soup or actually she meant that this soup is as easy to cook as ABC... :D
Yup, this soup is exceptionally simple to make and it is actually considered a clear soup. Sometimes, you can also add peppercorns to it but not if you are having a sore throat.
3 pieces of chicken drumsticks (thigh)
1 big onion
salt to taste
- Put 3000ml of water into a pot to boil
- When the water is boiling, add in the chicken, onion and potatoes. Boil for 10 minutes in high heat.
- Add in some slightly crushed pepper corns (optional)
- Turn the heat down and add in the carrots and tomatoes.
- Leave it to boil at this heat for about an hour.
- Add some salt and a little pepper to taste before serving.