Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Swiss Rolls


I have always wanted to attempt to make swiss rolls and chiffon cake but have not got the confidence to attempt either one. Many have told me that making those two types of cakes needs skills and probably a little bit of secret which most recipe books don't share with you. My friend Sue has confessed that she has made 3 attempts to make the swiss roll but each time the cake turns out a little too hard to roll. The chiffon cake is even tricky, as I've been told that the utensils must be totally oil free, plus the fact that the batter cannot be over beaten or under beaten *sweats*.

Anyway, I have decided to go to Melinda of Apple Kitchen for help. Signed up for her Swiss Roll class last Saturday with Sue. As usual, spending time with Melinda and Sue is always a fun learning experience. Melinda shared a wonderful butter cream recipe with us that is so smooth and soft. I could just eat it up without the cake. Sue was looking absolutely disgusted as the sinfulness of the cream. She was probably imagining her waistline thickening by just looking at the cream hahaha.

We were shown how prepare the batter first, from start to end before we were let loose. It was really fun but as first timers, we were rather clumsy with the rolling. I found out that one set of hands was simply not enough. Needed Melinda's help with the rolling. Sigh.. when I am home doing it alone, it might be quite a challenge.


Gave some to Joyce and Jean, some to Nick and Melvin...and the rest are for mua.... yum yum. Just received an sms from Joyce 5 mins ago. Told me that she bought me some kaya... mmm.. do I sense an ulterior motive there.... like do some more swiss roll with this kaya I got you .. hahah...thanks Joyce. If I don't make the swiss roll again anytime soon, maybe i can pass you the kaya, in between 2 slices of Gardenia bread.

Technorati Tags:,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator

8 comments:

Sue said...

nancy jie...both flavours are nice hor, the cake is so soft

Unknown said...

oh yes.. but i think i preferred the chocolate one :)

Anonymous said...

Perfect! I'm gonna to get widen, but I love the swiss rolls very much. Yami~~

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

hi oofooi, great to meet another swiss roll lover.. it is a soft yummy no-frills cake and light on the tummy :D

Anonymous said...

Hi! Can you share the recipe? Mu hubby likes to eat swiss role and hoping to find an easy recipe to make it.

Unknown said...

hello peb. i will mail you the swiss roll recipe.. just let me know where to mail it to :)

Anonymous said...

hello, i like the texture of the swiss roll very much. can u share the recipe of it? thank u so much!danssmb@yahoo.com